THANK YOU TO ALL WHO SUBMITTED TESTIMONY AND ATTENDED THE PUBLIC HEARING
If you haven't submitted your testimony, please do ASAP. The public hearing is over, but the record is still open!
Send a copy to your legislators asking them to co-sponsor.
(Note that the CGA webpage is experiencing technical issues and not all testimony received has been posted as of 2/4/19)
Your testimony is needed!
TAKE ACTION | Today!
Public Hearing Monday (2/4) to Support Funding for Open Space in Your Town
On Monday, February 4, the Environment Committee is holding a public hearing on Committee Bill 5254: An Act Establishing a Pilot Program Authorizing Municipalities to Impose a Buyer's Conveyance Fee on Real Property to Fund the Purchase and Stewardship of Open Space (HB 5254).
ACTION: Submit testimony and ask your legislators to support HB 5254
WHAT: HB 5254 would establish a pilot program to allow, but not require, municipalities to establish up to a 1% buyer's conveyance fee on real estate conveyances greater than $150,000 to fund: (1) purchase of local open space, forest and farmland (including in cooperation with land trusts); (2) brownfield remediation, or (3) other environmental projects.
WHY: Many cities and towns need a sustainable source of funding to support local conservation and stewardship efforts that would not impact the municipal mill rate or require additional bonding.
Submit Testimony and Ask Your Legislators to Co-Sponsor HB 5254
- Please email your testimony to email@example.com
- Include "Environment Committee Testimony", “HB 5254”, and "2/4" in subject line.
- Attach your testimony (which should include your name, town and, if applicable, your organization), to your email in either Word or PDF format (PDF strongly preferred).
- Please also send a copy of your testimony to your State Legislators and ask that they co-sponsor HB 5254.
- Please bcc me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Attend the Public Hearing
The public hearing is on Monday, February 4, 2019 at 10:30 A.M. in Room 2B of the Legislative Office Building (LOB), 300 Capitol Ave., Hartford. Sign-up for the hearing will take place at 9:30 A.M. in the First Floor Atrium of the LOB.
Please contact me at email@example.com if you would like to testify at the public hearing (we can help with sign-ups) or need assistance submitting your comments.
This is an opportunity to make a difference!
This is your opportunity to support municipalities seeking authority to offer their residents a creative option to help fund local open space acquisition and stewardship efforts. This is your opportunity to make a difference.
Thank you, as always, for taking action.
Amy Blaymore Paterson, Esq.
- The bill: HB 5254
- Sample Testimony in favor of HB 5254
- Additional Talking Points
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Public Hearing Notice & Instructions for Submitting Testimony