Conserving your land is one of the most valuable legacies you can leave for your family and future generations. As you consider conserving your land, there are several important questions to keep in mind. Careful planning early on can help the process move smoothly, resulting in the conservation results most suited to your needs and wishes.
- What will happen if the land is transferred to another owner?
- Do you have any family members that are or will be interested in owning and using it?
- Will future owners appreciate this special place, and will they care for it as you have?
- Can the uses of the land be converted, and, if so, can its special features be maintained?
While exploring your conservation options and working with a land conservation organization, there are several considerations that will form the most suitable conservation technique, including the conservation values of the property, your conservation goals, your financial situation, and the needs and interests of your family. It is important to keep these issues in mind as you peruse the information resources available on this website.
Due to the complexity and importance of land conservation decisions and transactions, we highly encourage landowners to consult an attorney and tax advisor for advice on these questions. Just as each piece of land is unique, so is each landowner’s interests and needs in conserving their own special place.
- About Us
- Land Conservation Resources
- Training & Education