What is a Land Trust?
Land trusts are nonprofit, community-based organizations dedicated to the permanent protection and stewardship of land for public benefit. They work closely with landowners to conserve land through acquisition, conservation easements or other interests in real property. Land trusts are supported through charitable donations and use funds for a variety of purposes in support of their mission. Once land has been protected, land trusts have an ongoing responsibility to care for the land, ensuring that easements are upheld and preserves well-managed.
Over 125 conservation organizations serve the communities of Connecticut, representing the third most land trusts of any state in the country. Collectively protecting and managing property with significant natural, cultural and scenice resources, these groups run the spectrum from small, all-volunteer outfits to large organizations with professional staff. They include groups with a local or regional focus as well as those with a statewide vision for natural resource protection.
In addition to the local land trusts featured on the map, Connecticut has many organizations with broader or more targeted service areas than we can clearly represent on the map:
- Connecticut Farmland Trust - nonprofit organization dedicated to permanently protecting farmland throughout Connecticut.
- Connecticut Forest and Park Association - nonprofit organization dedicated to conserving working forests, agricultural land and the CT Blue-Blazed Hiking Trail System.
- Housatonic Valley Association - nonprofit organization dedicated to protecting land and water in the Housatonic River Valley (CT, MA, NY).
- The Nature Conservancy - international nonprofit land conservation organization whose Connecticut Chapter manages various programs and preserves throughout the state.
- The Trust for Public Land - national nonprofit land conservation organization that conserves land for parks, community gardens, historic sites and natural areas.
- About Us
- Land Conservation Resources
- Training & Education