Update on Community Investment Act
Budget proposals raise concerns about the future of open space funding!
The regular legislative session ended on June 7 (see our re-cap) and now the General Assembly is back in a special session with a goal of completing a biennial budget by June 30.
Please ask your legislators to say NO to cuts to the CIA!
Thanks to your advocacy, the 2017 Deficit Mitigation Plan approved by the General Assembly did not sweep any funds from the Community Investment Act (CIA). However, now we need your help to avoid any cuts to the CIA in the Biennial Budget for FY18-19.
Status: Budget proposals from both sides of the aisle have included cuts to the CIA during the next biennium. Most recently, the Senate Republican’s plan proposed a diversion of 100% of the CIA funds for the next two fiscal years -- raising the alarm about the future of DEEP’s Open Space & Watershed Land Acquisition Grant Program (OSWA), and other critical CIA programs that support open space, farmland preservation/dairy support, historic preservation and affordable housing.
Your voice in support of the CIA is needed NOW! Legislators want to hear about your CIA Projects!
- Please contact your legislators and ask that they communicate to the leadership of their respective caucuses that they are committed to protecting and fully funding the CIA as they move forward in crafting the biennial budget.
- IMPORTANT! EVERY LEGISLATOR WE HAVE SPOKEN WITH HAS STRESSED THE IMPORTANCE OF LEARNING ABOUT EXAMPLES OF CIA FUNDED PROJECTS IN THEIR COMMUNITIES, INCLUDING THOSE THAT ARE IN THE QUEUE AND DEPENDENT UPON CIA FUNDING FOR COMPLETION!
- Read CLCC's June 1 Opinion Editorial on protecting the CIA in the CT Mirror, leave a comment and share the article with your legislators and members of your organization.
- Share the CIA coalition's letter to General Assembly leadership with your legislators and members of your organization.
- Visit our website for talking points
- Visit the Community Investment Act website, including a list of CIA funded projects in your town.
If you have already contacted your legislators in support of the CIA during the regular session, THANK YOU! And if they have voiced support for protecting the fund, please THANK THEM AGAIN!
Either way, your legislators need to hear from you! (And please bcc us at email@example.com)
We will continue to keep you apprised of the news about the CIA and other land conservation budget priorities, including bonding for open space, saving the CEQ and funding mechanisms for State Parks (Passport to the Parks), Conservation Districts, and other programs that protect public health and the environment.
Please watch for continued updates and additional alerts! Thank you in advance for taking action!
Amy Blaymore Paterson, Executive Director
Thank you for taking action!
The Connecticut Land Conservation Council advocates for land conservation, stewardship and funding, and works to ensure the long term strength and viability of the land conservation community.
Click HERE to read the original eBlast