With the regular legislative session scheduled to end tomorrow (June 7) at midnight, we need your help NOW in making one last contact with your State Legislators to vote on SJ 39, “Resolution Approving an Amendment to the State Constitution to Protect Real Property Held or Controlled by the State.”
SJ39 would help ensure that public lands are not given away, sold, or traded without adequate public input.
BACKGROUND: Last year the General Assembly passed a resolution that would place a referendum question on the ballot to amend the state constitution to better protect your public lands (state parks, forests, wildlife management areas, state-owned agricultural lands, etc.). This resolution has to be passed a second time by the General Assembly to make it on the ballot in 2018. SJ39 has 45 co-sponsors this year.
Thank you for taking action!
With appreciation -
Amy Blaymore Paterson, Executive Director
P.S. If you have made contact with your State Legislators on SJ39 already this session, please contact them again, thank them for their support, and ask that they do what they can to bring SJ39 to the Floor for a vote.
P.P.S. The General Assembly has voted to extend the deadline to pass a budget to June 30. In anticipation of those budget deliberations, stay tuned for CLCC's update on our major land conservation budget priorities, including CIA, CEQ, open space bonding, State Parks, DEEP, etc. Any questions in the interim, please contact me anytime!
Please Make Contact with Your Legislators TODAY!
ACTION: Please contact your State Legislators and ask them to bring Senate Joint Resolution 39, “Resolution Approving an Amendment to the State Constitution to Protect Real Property Held or Controlled by the State” to the Floor for a vote.
- Please bring SJ39, “Resolution Approving an Amendment to the State Constitution to Protect Real Property Held or Controlled by the State” to the Floor for a vote.
- Passage of SJ39 would provide the public with the opportunity to vote at the ballot box in 2018 on whether to amend the state constitution to better protect public lands.
- State Parks and other public lands are important to our quality of life and strong economy. They protect our air and water, provide important wildlife habitat and offer us affordable places to visit and recreate.
- SJ39 would require a public hearing and 2/3rds vote before public lands could be sold, traded, or given away by the General Assembly.
- Please give the public a chance to decide on whether the constitution should be amended to better protect our public lands.
- Please help to bring SJ39 to the Floor for a vote before time runs out!
Please contact email@example.com if you have any questions.
See the original eBlast HERE.