Talking Points on Protection of the Community Investment Act
MESSAGE: I SUPPORT THE COMMUNITY INVESTMENT ACT
The good news! The Governor’s budget does not call for an extension of the 50% cut in CIA over the course of the next biennial budget which begins on July 1st. Under this proposal CIA dollars would be fully restored on July 1st.
Caveat! Of course, this is just the beginning of the biennial budget process. Over the next four months, the Appropriations and Finance Committees and legislative leaders will begin the process of crafting a budget that will require the support of both chambers and Governor Malloy. We must continue our work to protect the CIA. Please continue to share your community's CIA success stories with your legislators.
- The CIA is a Dedicated Fund: The CIA was established as a DEDICATED REVENUE SOURCE OUTSIDE OF THE BUDGET to provide consistent funding for reinvestment into our communities for open space, farmland/dairy support, historic properties, and affordable housing programs.
- The CIA Benefits all Communities: Funded through a $40 surcharge on local recording fees, the CIA has invested over $153 million for 1,400 projects across all four sectors in 168 Connecticut towns -- and the numbers continue to increase!
- The CIA is Critical to Land Conservation: The CIA is the only consistent source of funding for the Open Space & Watershed Land Acquisition Grant Program (OSWA). The continued cuts to CIA funds means less money available for the current grant round (applications submitted as of February 2) and future rounds of the OSWA program.
- The CIA is an Economic Driver: CIA investments boost local and state economies (projects have contributed to the viability of the $873 million outdoor recreation industry and the $3.5 billion agricultural industry).
- The CIA Leverages $$$: CIA investments leverage millions of matching funds.
- The CIA = Jobs! CIA projects have created over 3,000 jobs in affordable housing and historic preservation, and over 28,000 jobs in the agricultural industry.
- CIA PROTECTS NATURAL RESOURCES! DESCRIBE YOUR TOWN'S CIA SUCCESS STORY. View a Town-by-Town list of projects HERE.
- Visit the CIA website for more information.