Talking Points on Project Green Space
Message: I support HB6926 which would enable a Local Option to Fund Acquisition and Stewardship of Open Space
HB 6926, allows (BUT DOES NOT REQUIRE) towns and cities to establish their own source of funding to acquire, preserve and protect open space at the municipal level by adopting a local option to impose a conveyance fee of up to 1% on the purchase of residential real estate.
- Most cities and towns across Connecticut do not have a permanent reliable resource to use in their land conservation efforts.
- These bills would enable, BUT NOT REQUIRE, communities to establish their own source of funding by adopting a local option to impose a conveyance fee of up to 1% on the purchase of residential real estate.
- These funds could be used to steward land currently protected by a local community or to acquire new parcels of open space throughout Connecticut.
- These funds could be used to match available state and federal grants and to leverage additional funds for open space.
- Since the funds are collected and expended locally, there is no adverse fiscal impact on the state budget.
- Describe why land conservation is important to preserving the character of your community and how having local funds will help advance your town’s conservation efforts.